Don’t take your skin for granted – it’s an amazing organ and it deserves some serious respect! Here are the most amazing facts about human skin.
1. Our Skin Constantly Sheds Cells
Your skin sheds up to 30,000 to 40,000 dead skin cells every minute of the day! That’s up to 4kg of skin per year!
Can you imagine if we never took showers what are skin look like? We need to make sure we exfoliate your skin every day, allowing our new fresh skin to shine through.
The average person will lose around 48 kgs of skin by the age 70.
2. Our Skin is the Largest Organ in the Body
Did you know skin is the largest organ in our body? It can weigh up to 3.5 kgs and cover 2 square meters of skin, about the size of a blanket in an adult! What’s more, it makes up about 16% of our body weight.
3. There are 45 miles of nerves in our skin.
What’s more, electric impulses travel at a speed of almost 250 mph through those nerves.
4. Our Skin Is Responsible for a Lot of Dust
In a lifetime the average person sheds enough skin cells to fill an entire two story house.
5. Our Skin Rejuvenates Itself
Every month, the entire outer surface of your skin is replaced – a ‘new you’ every four weeks! That’s almost 2000 new skins in a lifetime!
6. Skin is thickest at the soles of the feet (3mm) and thinnest on the eyelids (1mm)
7. Your skin performs a range of different functions
Which include physically protecting your bones, muscles and internal organs, protecting your body from outside diseases, allowing you to feel and react to heat and cold and using blood to regulate your body heat.