In 1923 , eight of the wealthiest people in the world met . Their combined wealth , estimated, exceeded the wealth of the government of the United States (there was no Apple and recession then). These men knew how to make a living and accumulate wealth . It’s very interesting to read about what happened to these 8 wealthiest people in the world , 25 years later …..
So 25 years later…….
1. President of the largest Steel Company , Charles Schwab , died bankrupt, living on borrowed money for five years before his death
2. President of the largest Gas Company , Howard Hubson , went insane
3. One of the greatest commodity traders , Arthur Cutton , died insolvent
4. President of the New York Stock Exchange, Richard Whitney , was sent to jail
5. A member of the President’s Cabinet , Albert Fall , was pardoned from jail
6. The greatest “bear” on Wall Street , Jessie Livermore , committed suicide
7. President of the world’s greatest monopoly , Ivar Krueger , committed suicide
8. President , Bank of International Settlement , Leon Fraser , committed suicide
So, what happened? Where did they go wrong? They most certainly made lots and lots of money. They were very wealthy . But what did they lack then? In fact , as much as they knew how to make a living, they forgot to make a life! Instead, they just made Money! Money provides comfort and status, so true. It also provides food for the hungry, medicine for the sick, clothes for the needy; and shelter for the homeless, yet, noteworthy to mention that is only a medium of exchange.
Our education system needs to share two kinds of education. One that teaches us skills on how to make a living ; and one that teaches us values on how to live life , free from entrapment of chasing after an illusion of happiness. Many people are entrapped in that chase neglecting health , family , the social responsibilities, the environment and moment by moment of real deep fresh breathing . The kids are sleeping when we leave home . They are sleeping when we come home . Twenty years later, we WILL turn back , and they’ll all be gone . Same goes for our health , dreams, and purpose in life . Twenty years later , they will all be gone or a far distant memory .
Without water , a ship cannot move . The ship needs water . Yet , if the water gets into the ship, the ship will face problems and potentially sink. Similarly , we live in a time where earning is a necessity ; but let not the earning enter our hearts ; for , what was once
a means of living , will become heavy chain, an entrapment and a means of destruction !!!??? So take a moment and ask yourself ….
“Has the water entered my ship ?”