1. A human being loses an average of 40 to 100 strands of hair a day.
2. A cough releases an explosive charge of air that moves at speeds up to 60mph.
3. Every time you lick a stamp, you consume 1/10 of a calorie.
4. A fetus acquires fingerprints at the age of three months.
5. A sneeze can exceed the speed of 100 mph.
6. Every person has a unique tongue print.
7. According to German researchers, the risk of heart attack is higher on Monday than any other day of the week.
8. After spending hours working at a computer display, look at a blank piece of white paper. It will probably appear pink.
9. An average human drinks about 16,000 gallons of water in a lifetime.
10. A fingernail or toenail takes about 6 months to grow from base to tip.
11. An average human scalp has 100,000 hairs.
12. It takes 17 muscles to smile and 43 to frown.
13. Babies are born with 300 bones, but by adulthood, we only have 206 in our bodies.
14. Beards are the fastest growing hairs on the human body. If the average man never trimmed his beard, it would grow to nearly 30 feet long in his lifetime.
15. By age sixty, most people have lost half of their taste buds.
16. By the time you turn 70, your heart will have beat some two-and-a-half billion times (figuring on an average of 70 beats per minute).
17. Each square inch of human skin consists of twenty feet of blood vessels.
18. Every human spent half an hour as a single cell.
19. Every square inch of the human body has an average of 32 million bacteria on it.
20. Fingernails grow faster than toenails.
21. Humans shed about 600,000 particles of skin every hour – about 1.5 pounds a year. By 70 years of age, an average person will have lost 105 pounds of skin.
Amazing Lung Facts
• At rest, a person breathes about 14 to 16 times per minute. After exercise it could increase to over 60 times per minute.
• New babies at rest breathe between 40 and 50 times per minute. By age five it decreases to around 25 times per minute.
• The total surface area of the alveoli (tiny air sacs in the lungs) is the size of a tennis court.
• The lungs are the only organ in the body that can float on water.
• The lungs produce a detergent-like substance which reduces the surface tension of the fluid lining, allowing air in.
Amazing Heart Facts
• Your heart is about the same size as your fist.
• An average adult body contains about five quarts of blood.
• All the blood vessels in the body joined end to end would stretch 62,000 miles or two and a half times around the earth.
• The heart circulates the body’s blood supply about 1,000 times each day.